Re: goops C interface

From: Eric Moore
Subject: Re: goops C interface
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Livshin <address@hidden> writes:

Michael> the fdi_example thingie in the goops distribution is the only
Michael> I know of.

Well, what we have so far, are some guile-snarf macros for presenting
a goops interface to C structs, C functions to create classes.  The C
interface for creating generic functions and methods seems to be a
little weak at first glance.

Michael> you could begin by describing what you want it to do -- that
Michael> alone would help alot, I imagine.

Documentation would be nice.  Probably the first step :)

The most important thing we mostly have, a way for a C program using
guile to wrap up it's internal data structures in goops objects.  The
most notable lack I see from preusing it at this point is that adding
slots with non-trivial getters and setters using SCM_VIRTUAL_SLOT or
te like are kinda nasty.

The next thing would be the ability to provide functionality, in terms
of new generic functions and methods.  I don't see any clean exported
API for doing this.

Another thing we're going to want is orbit bindings, but I figured
we'd want the C goops interface to do those.  It would be nice if the
interface provided everything needed to write the orbit bindings.

A nice pipe dream would be the ability to work with C++ classes
without it being excruciatingly painful.  Any ideas here?

  -Eric