Re: Guile reference manual questions

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Guile reference manual questions
Date: 17 Oct 2000 17:52:35 -0400

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> So I now plan to follow my intuition and document all of Guile's
> core language and features together - mixing R5RS and Guile
> extensions - in whatever order of presentation turns out to make
> most sense.

Why not follow a pattern like the Emacs Lisp manual?  It starts out
documenting features of Emacs Lisp that are in common with other Lisp
dialects (lists, vectors, evaluation), and gets more specialized in
later chapters (buffers, regexps, Emacs internals).

So in this case, the Guile manual would start out documenting mostly
the Scheme language, while later chapters could deal with GOOPS, the
module system, etc.

That way, the Scheme experts know they can safely skip the first few
chapters, while the beginners can read the manual the entire way
through in a continuous fashion.