Re: Guile uses GNU MP

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Guile uses GNU MP
Date: 02 Oct 2000 23:01:49 +0200

Joerg Kreienbuehl <address@hidden> writes:

> I have changed numbers.(c|h) so that it uses the GNU MP (GMP).

OK, due to license issues, we can not replace the current arithmetic
code with code that uses GNU MP.  Using GNU MP will cause Guile to be
effectively licensed with the terms of the Lesser GPL, which is more
restrictive than the current Guile license.

We can, however, have Guile conditionally use GNU MP instead of the
current code as long as the user can decide not to activate GNU MP.

I think it is good enough to make this decision a compile-time thing,
that is, provide a configure option --with-gmp that causes Guile to
use GNU MP instead of the current code.

Technically, I despise a huge amount of #ifdefs.  Would it be possible
to implement the support for both GNU MP and what we have now by
having two separate files, say numbers-gmp.c and numbers-scm.c?