Re: SCM_LENGTH -> SCM_STRING_LENGTH etc?

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: SCM_LENGTH -> SCM_STRING_LENGTH etc?
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:52:40 +0200 (MEST)

On 22 Sep 2000, Keisuke Nishida wrote:

> I think there was a plan to rename macros and functions in more
> readable and consistent way.  When will it happen?  May I help?

Finding a consistent but still comfortable to use naming scheme is
difficult.  We have had some discussions about it, but we have not yet
come to a final conclusion.  Another point that makes the discussion
itself difficult is the backwards compatibility problem.  For example, the
SCM_CHARS macro can be expected to be widely used :-(  Deprecating such
things will influence a lot of code.

> And how about moving deprecated stuff to a single file all together?
> It makes the header files cleaner.

I think, it is sufficient if deprecated stuff is collected at the bottom
of the header files.  Deprecated stuff in C files may depend on static
code of the same C file, and thus could not easily be moved into a
separate file.

Best regards
Dirk