RE: Octave and Guile?

From: Daschbach, John L
Subject: RE: Octave and Guile?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:19:03 -0700

The "strong numerical library" picture is a bit over simplified with respect to
using octave in your guile based program.  Much of the core of octave is
appropriately wrapped, established numerical libraries, often Fortran ones,
(BLAS, Lapack, Lsode, ..).  But much of the power of octave (and Matlab) comes
from interpreted functions and scripts.  It is possible, and I use it often, to
create statements or scripts on the fly and evaluate them, just as you can in
scheme, lisp, perl and other interpreted languages.  John Eaton's view, which I
think is the correct but difficult one, is that to run octave in guile you will
need to be able to translate on the fly, octave code to guile and then interpret
it in guile.  While this could and probably will be in a library, it's not
exactly like a standard library, at least to me.

I think it will required a good deal of design and coding effort to accomplish
this integration.  The code for lisp based algebraic manipulation programs
(which usually use a non-lisp read syntax) might be an good place to start.
It's not the same, but in systems like Macsyma code could be written in both
Lisp and the top-level language.

I'm in favor of evaluating guile as the base for the next octave, but I think
the decision should be based on a solid assesment of the various options.

-John