Re: coredump in scm_ithrow

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: coredump in scm_ithrow
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:01:43 +0200 (MEST)

On 5 Sep 2000, Gary Houston wrote:

> > I assume this is the GCSE bug which was discussed recently on the
> > list.  After declaring 'winds' volatile, everything works fine.  However,
> > configure does not recognise the GCSE bug on this machine :-(
>
> It looks like the same bug.  configure defines BROKEN_GCSE, which
> is still ignored by throw.c.  Do you mean that on your machine
> configure prints
>
> checking for broken GCSE optimisation... no

Yes, that's what it prints.

On 5 Sep 2000, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> What compiler are you using?  Maybe we should just use scm_ithrow as
> the test case and not something that is hopefully similar enough.

> gcc --version
2.95.2

Is the problem really platform specific, or does it occur on
several/most/all platforms?  If so, then we could rather check for the
compiler version than to try to create a test case that on some platforms
works and on others doesn't.  Even if we were using scm_ithrow as the
test, then it is just another test case which may work sometimes and
sometimes not.

(BTW:  It's been a long time since the last gcc release, hasn't it?  Not
that we guile folks were in a position to complain about infrequent
releases :-)

Best regards
Dirk