Re: tc16_allocated (was: guile/guile-core/libguile init.c)

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: tc16_allocated (was: guile/guile-core/libguile init.c)
Date: 02 Sep 2000 22:41:06 +0300

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> [I'm including Matthias Jacob on the thread.]

oops, I forgot to include Matthias.  sorry!

> > Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > In the old GC scheme, a cell has three phases in its life: first it is
> > > a free cell, then an allocated cell, and, thirdly, a real cell.  Each
> > > phase requires at least one store to memory.  And, since we now have
> > > multiple freelists, the free phase can actually be repeated,
>
> Michael, could you please explain what I meant by this last
> sentence?

I dunno ;).  it looks wrong to me, actually.

> > > so
> > > there's a waste of at least one (+ repeated free phases) store to
> > > memory per cell used.

perhaps this is what you meant?

> I don't see how it could be a problem if a few free cells are marked
> by mistake.  Could it?

hmmm, not really.

<lightbulb>
free cells don't point to anything else, so it's not like whole trees
of data could be falsely retained.
</lightbulb>

so I'll just implement it, unless there are objections.

--
This computer thanks you for your attention.
G O O D B Y E