grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12 release, etc.

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12 release, etc.
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:00:18 +0200

Hi,

Adding Ard, Atish, Fu, Heinrich, Leif and Nikita...

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 05:48:39PM +0800, Xiaotian Wu wrote:
> Hi Daniel.
>
> Thank you for your release plan.
>
> I would like to ask, can GRUB-2.12 add a new LoongArch architecture support?

Sure, I will start reviewing them in the following weeks...

> LoongArch is a RISC instruction set from China. Currently, Linux-5.19 adds
> LoongArch CPU support and will support complete EFIStub in version 5.20.
>
> On GRUB, including 2 patch sets:
>
> 1. Add the basic support of LoongArch so that GRUB can run on the LoongArch
> machine. See https://github.com/loongarch64/grub/tree/dev/patchwork/base
>
> 2. Add the loader for kernel, but it depends on a series of patch of
> Loadfile2. See https://github.com/loongarch64/grub/tree/dev/patchwork/efi

Oh, LoadFile2, I think it would be nice if somebody revives this patch
series [1], [2]. I sent my comments a few months ago and nothing happened.
Nikita or anybody else, could you take my comments into account and post v4?

> These patchs are already available, and tested on CLFS and Archlinux for
> LoongArch.
>
> If we plan to support LoongArch in GRUB-2.12, I will update these patchs and
> release the 4th version of the patch for review.

If you could rebase them on latest master that would be perfect.

Daniel

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2021-10/msg00209.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2021-11/msg00084.html