grub-devel

Powerpc grub_func_test never exits

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Powerpc grub_func_test never exits
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 18:34:04 -0600

Hi Daniel and Adrian,

I'm specifically addressing you two because judging from prior list
emails you both have run the make check tests for powerpc and so I
think are well positioned to help make progress on this issue.

When running the grub functional tests (grub_func_test), the test is
failing after an hour with a timeout on both PPC and PPC64. Looking at
the QEMU output for the functional test, I can see that it finishes.
However, the VM never exits/halts. Here's the last few lines from QEMU
output by grub:

```
gfxterm_menu: FAIL
videotest_checksum:
 tests/videotest_checksum.c:videotest_checksum:46: assert failed: 0
 unicode font not found: no server is specified
videotest_checksum: FAIL
exfctest:
exfctest: PASS
TEST FAILURE
error: no server is specified.
```

I've attached an iso that will reproduce this issue in Debian's QEMU
5.2 and 6.1. The QEMU command to run is (not all options may be needed):

$ qemu-system-ppc -M mac99,via=pmu -m 2048M -nographic -monitor
    file:/dev/null -fw_cfg name=etc/sercon-port,string=0 -serial null
    -serial file:/dev/stdout -hda grub.iso -boot c

This issue is not present in other QEMU tests, which could indicate a
GRUB issue. But if so, it doesn't seem to present itself on any other
target that I've been testing. I suspect there's a bug in GRUB that is
PPC specific that corrupts firmware memory such that halt doesn't
happen.

I'm curious how this would behave on real hardware, does it still hang?

Getting this resolved will allow my testing to properly see this as a
test failure and not a non-test error.

Glenn