grub-devel

Re: About the code style requirement

From: Qu Wenruo
Subject: Re: About the code style requirement
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 08:33:29 +0800

On 2021/10/8 08:22, Qu Wenruo via Grub-devel wrote:

On 2021/10/7 21:51, Daniel Kiper wrote:
On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 03:14:02PM +0800, Qu Wenruo via Grub-devel wrote:
On 2021/10/1 14:08, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

[...]

GRUB already has a btrfs implementation. Writing new one from scratch
instead of existing one is unwelcome. From scratch means new bugs.
Do you have problems with existing implementation?

In fact, quite some:

- Can't read shared data extents of reflinked files
   This can be fixed without a big refactor.

- No csum verification
- No support for extra checksums (xxhash/sha256/blake2)
- No very basic tree block sanity check
   The only sanity check is bytenr and fsid, which is far from ideal.
   The most deadly case like parent-child tree block level mismatch is
   not handled at all.
   (which can easily cause a dead loop,
    e.g. tree_block1 -> tree_block2 -> tree_block 1)

If so I prefer you
to fix the exact bugs rather than attempt to rewrite the entire thing
from scratch

If only for the read failure of the reflinked files, I'd be pretty happy
just to fix that bug.

But for the long run, I really prefer to have a more-or-less common base
which every btrfs developer can easily start their work easily.

Your work on the existing grub btrfs code is very appreciated, but I'm not
sure if it is the best solution in the long run.

Thus please let us btrfs developers to contribute our experience to make a
better and more unified implementation.
(Although still less unified due to license conflicts)

I think it would be nice to have a kind of library which could be
imported into the GRUB source code in the similar way how it is done
e.g. for gnulib or JSON. Please take a look at grub-core/lib directory
and e.g. commit 528938d50 (json: Import upstream jsmn-1.1.0). Of course
it has to have compatible license with the GRUB. You can find more info
about licensing here [1].

Yep, it would be the best practice to import a good btrfs implementation directly to GRUB.

But as you know, currently we don't have such lib which is license compatible yet.

WRT coding style, it is described here [2]. As Daniel A. said it is GNU
coding style with some (minor) exceptions. However, we do not enforce
this coding style for the code which is imported into the GRUB as libraries. >
Anyway, we want to have support for latest Btrfs features in the GRUB.
So, I think your proposal is interesting. However, we have to get more
details how to solve various problems. So, if you could consider various
options and present their pros and cons then I think we can continue
discussion how to make Btrfs development for GRUB easier.

Currently there seems to be 3 different plans:

1. Continue with current GRUB btrfs code base

    Pros: No need for a new project/code base

    Cons: Very few (if any) btrfs developers is interested in handling a
          completely different code base.
          Thus the code can easily (and is already) get out-of-sync with
          latest btrfs features.

I pinned down the bug why GRUB fails to read some extents.

It turns out to be a much bigger problem, that GRUB can't even handle the soon-to-be-default features like NO_HOLES.
(And mixed inline with regular extents)

Sure, I will send out patches for that bug, but it really takes me too long time just to pin down the bug inside a completely different code base.

Thanks,
Qu

2. Import code from U-boot

    Pros: The most unified code base (directly from btrfs-progs/kernel).
          More or less tested (only two bugs found after the cross-port
          to U-boot).
          Mostly feature rich (multi-device not implemented due to U-boot
          limit, lacking only blake2 hash support)

    Cons: License incompatible. The btrfs-progs code may be re-licensed,
          but there are still things like rbtree and list are copied from
          kernel, thus a full re-license seems unfeasible.

3. New btrfs FUSE based project <<< Trying to do in the long run

    Pros: More btrfs community members can get involved.
          Easier to test thanks to FUSE.
          License compatible (MIT planned).
          Extra educational purpose for new developers.

    Cons: A new project means new bugs.
          Still a very different code base, thus not that unified to
          btrfs-progs/kernel.
          Need extra infrastructure/interface to be cross-ported to GRUB.

Daniel

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html.en
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub-dev/grub-dev.html

Thanks for all the info, it would definitely help when I start coding inside GRUB.

Thanks,
Qu