grub-devel

Re: [SPECIFICATION RFC v3] The firmware and bootloader log specification

From: Heinrich Schuchardt
Subject: Re: [SPECIFICATION RFC v3] The firmware and bootloader log specification
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 00:53:35 +0200

Am 18. September 2021 18:04:13 MESZ schrieb Alec Brown
<alec.r.brown@oracle.com>:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I've been working on improving the specification for the firmware and
>bootloader
>log that Daniel Kiper has proposed and take into account most of the
>suggestions
>that were made in these threads [1], [2].
>
>The goal is to allow various boot components to pass logs to the running OS and
>then to the user space for processing and analysis. These logs should be
>generic
>enough so that it can work in multiple environments and be human readable.

Hello Alec,

in your mail it remains unclear which information you want to put into the log
and why it is needed. I would prefer the motivation and content to be clarified
before defining any interface structures.

We already the EFI_TCG2_PROTOCOL and RFC 5424 (The syslog protocol). Why do we
need to start from scratch?

Best regards

Heinrich