grub-devel

Re: [grub-fs-tester.in] zisofs test looks unsuitable

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [grub-fs-tester.in] zisofs test looks unsuitable
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 09:34:52 +0200

Hi,

Glenn Washburn wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, there is currently no test which actually
> exercises that code, ie no test runs "grub-fs-tester ziso9660". I think
> it could be a good idea to have one though.

So we should get this to work. zisofs can be helpful to squeeze more
operating system into a size limited ISO image.

> However, when attempting to run the test manually, I'm getting a
> failure probably related to what you've found.
> $ ./grub-fs-tester ziso9660
> [...]
> xorriso : FAILURE : -volid: Text too long (1650 > 32)

This is something different.
"-volid" is the native xorriso command that's behind mkisofs emulation
option -V. In

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/tests/util/grub-fs-tester.in#n1024
i see

  -V "$FSLABEL"

which is also used with the case x"iso9660").

So i assume that it is not curbed to 32 bytes by the code after line 315

  # FS LIMITATION: afs and iso9660 label is at most 32 UTF-8 characters

It seems that line 317 should be extended by a new line 318

-                     | xiso9660_1999 | xrockridge_1999 |
xrockridge_joliet_1999)
+                     | xiso9660_1999 | xrockridge_1999 |
xrockridge_joliet_1999\
+                     | xziso9660)

Nitpicking:
The comment speaks of "32 UTF-8 characters" but it must be at most 32 bytes.
(Wisely the code does not truncate the long UTF-8 string but rather creates
a new string, which seems to have 31 bytes. I'm unsure whether my desktop
properly copies and pastes those [02F 99x] characters from line 318.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas