grub-devel

Re: need hostname on menu

From: J.Witvliet
Subject: Re: need hostname on menu
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 13:06:25 +0000

From: "Humphrey van Polanen Petel" <hpvpp@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sunday, 24 January 2021 at 12:27:20
To: "John Paul Adrian Glaubitz" <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc: "The development of GNU GRUB" <grub-devel@gnu.org>

Okay, I get it.

I defer to your decision.

Humphrey

We are but sheep and here to be fleeced
On 24/1/21 8:03 pm, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hello!

On 1/24/21 4:32 AM, Humphrey van Polanen Petel wrote:
Whether it is a trivial problem or not I am not qualified to comment on, but it
nevertheless seems to me that being able to identify at boot a systemby the name
by which it is know is of obvious benefit simply because mnemonics are most easily
remembered.
I was not arguing this point. I was just talking about the development and maintenance
effort.

All true.
But after some thoughts, and in this particular case...
I would suggest to ask this question to canonical, as they produce the grub-config file.
Not the people from grub-development.

Afaicr, if you install different versions of Suse, you’ll get different lines in grub-config (analogue to what you asked for)