grub-devel

Re: need hostname on menu

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: Re: need hostname on menu
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 10:28:55 +0100

Hi,

Le 24/01/2021 à 01:52, Humphrey van Polanen Petel a écrit :
However, it seems to me that it would be a lot more useful to add a parameter allowing the user to display the name of the install from /etc/hostname.

I won't repeat what grub developers said but in addition:

1) Other users could want to customize the name including an information
not available in /etc/hostname, like e.g. /etc/os-release

2) the customization is easy to by the user or the package maintainer
or the distribution maintainer and there are several ways to do that,
for instance edit by hand grub.cfg, or write a customized config file as
/etc/grub.d/<nn>_<name>, or write a script that customizes grub.cfg
after having run grub-mkconfig or update-grub, possibly called
by a wrapper script that will run grub-mkconfig or update-grub first.

Have a good day,
Didier

I won't repeat what grub developers said but in addition:

1) Other users could want to customize the name including an information
not available in /etc/hostname, like e.g. /etc/os-release

2) the customization is easy to do by the user or the package maintainer or
the distribution maintainer and there are several ways to do that, like:
a) Edit by hand grub.cfg
b) Write a customized config file as /etc/grub.d/<nn>_<name>.
c) Write a script that customizes grub.cfg after having run grub-mkconfig
or update-grub.
d) Write a  wrapper script that runs grub-mkconfig or update-grub then do
the customization.

Have a good day,
Didier