grub-devel

Re: failing tests on sparc64-ieee1275 target

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: failing tests on sparc64-ieee1275 target
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 21:57:51 -0600

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 21:53:54 +0100
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On 12/19/20 7:29 AM, Glenn Washburn wrote:
> > I'm running the sparc tests and running into some odd failures. Is
> > anyone running these tests successfully? I've attached the
> > test-suite.log which shows a bash trace of each failing test. There
> > are many failing fs tests with hard errors, those can be ignored.
> > The last 4 tests are the pertinent ones. Also included are the qemu
> > output files. I'll discuss briefly each failing test below in the
> > order which they appear in the log file.
>
> I don't think we're running the tests on anything besides x86 in
> Debian, but you can check the build logs here:
>
> > https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=grub2&suite=sid
>
> To view a build log, click on any entry in the "Status" column.

Who is "we" here? Debian maintainers for grub2? Thanks for this info.
Looking at the logs for amd64 and i386, the "make check" test are not
actually being run. Are those the tests that you're referring to? I'm I
missing it in the logs? To be clear, I have no issues building for
sparc64.

> FWIW, we're deploying GRUB on Debian/sparc64 without any issues both
> for installation media and hard disks. If you want, you can run the
> tests on real hardware through the GCC compile farm [1].
>
> Adrian
>
> > [1] https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

Thanks for this suggestion, its been mentioned before and seems like a
pretty cool project. However, I'm failing to see how it could be useful
here. My problem is with the "make check" tests which are setup to be
run in a virtual machine. I could do a build for sparc64 on the compile
farm, but how run I run the tests which require a grub boot? From what
I can tell, the compile farm doesn't allow testing of the boot of a
sparc64 machine. Without virtualization, that would require some kind
of kvm/serial access. How exactly are you thinking I could run the
tests on real hardware through the GCC compile farm?

Glenn