grub-devel

Re: Grub xen_pvh platform does not seem to support uncompressed kernels

From: Andy Smith
Subject: Re: Grub xen_pvh platform does not seem to support uncompressed kernels
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 09:17:10 +0000

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 09:43:06AM +0100, Jürgen Groß wrote:
> On 02.11.20 09:27, Andy Smith wrote:
> >The decompressed kernel is generated like this:
> >
> ># extract-vmlinux /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-52-generic >
> >/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-52-generic-decompressed
> >
> >The decompressed kernel does boot when presented to the hypervisor
> >directly, i.e. no grub, directly listed in guest config file.
> >
> >I don't have an HVM test setup right now so am unable to test that,
> >but I suppose we can assume it will fail as the problem is in the
> >standard grub loading functions.
> >
> >So, is this a bug? Grub should be able to boot uncompressed kernels,
> >shouldn't it?
>
> As long as the boot entry code is included in this kernel, yes.

I actually think now that the output of extract-vmlinux lacks
something and I further suspect that if I would use a vmlinux file
from within a kernel build tree it would be fine.

In which case this is not an issue for grub or xen, and only for
those of us employing hacks based around extract-vmlinux.

Apologies for the distraction!

Thanks,
Andy