grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.06 release

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.06 release
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:33:17 -0400

On 10/20/20 4:05 PM, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> I don't know. It would have made the effort significantly harder to
> rebase to 2.04.1 instead of just appending the patches to the ton
> of patches we already have.

Why is this a grub development concern? It might be work for Debian, but
other distros might not have nearly as many patches...

If these patches are so important, *and* they are backported from
official grub commits, then they could be nominated for inclusion into
some prospective 2.04.1 maintenance release too.

Either way, having fewer patches to track on top of more up to date
official sources should always be considered a good thing. Having a
delta between upstream sources and built sources is never *good*, even
if it is often a *necessary evil*.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User