grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.06 release

From: Julian Andres Klode
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.06 release
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:00:02 +0200

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 05:30:41PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On 2020.07.29 18:46, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > I think this link [1] will explain my long absence... Sorry about that.
> >
> > I am going to go back to GRUB work next week. I will triage all the patches
> > and take all (obvious) fixes. Then I will release rc1 ASAP... All new
> > features
> > will be taken after 2.06 release.
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2020-07/msg00034.html
>
> Just wanted to mention that the 2.06 release (btw, is GRUB jumping straight
> from 2.04 [1] to 2.06 then?) delay with the BootHole fixes is starting to
> create some issues as folks (e.g. Rescuezilla) have started to take upon
> themselves to cherry pick from the BootHole patches and apply them to things
> like GRUB 2.02, instead of simply upgrading to a new official release, that
> would include these fixes.

That's a misunderstanding, nobody would upgrade existing OS to 2.06, you
can't just upgrade the entire bootloader in a stable OS. You'd only
upgrade the latest in-development version and cherry-pick fixes to old
releases.

> This has the consequence of actually breaking BIOS boot for ISO -> USB
> conversion utilities like Rufus (disclaimer: I am the author of Rufus),
> since we need to provide a matching core.img during conversion, that doesn't
> exist on the ISO, and obvioulsy the one we provide which was compiled around
> the time of release does not include the BootHole fixes, and will therefore
> typically fail with "symbol 'grub_calloc' not found".

I don't understand. Just compile a new one with the cherry-picks? Sounds
weird though, you need to keep core.img around for every possible ISO
you want to build against?

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en