grub-devel

Re: Why Lua support was removed

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Why Lua support was removed
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:21:33 -0400

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 04:33:31PM +0800, Tianjia Zhang wrote:
> I want to use lua to do some logic on grub, which needs to be embedded in
> the lua interpreter. I found that grub supports lua as early as 2009, and
> only a few months later, the lua was removed. I checked the Changelog and
> git log, the reason for removal was not found, I want to know why the
> support for lua was removed.
>
> Judging from the current situation, if grub wants to support a scripting
> language, lua is undoubtedly the most suitable and completely feasible. Is
> it acceptable to support lua in grub now? If possible, I will consider doing
> this.

Looking at the grub source in Debian I see:

grub-2.04/debian/grub-extras/lua/

It however appears disabled in the build of the package.  I guess it
stopped working at some point and was dropped if it was ever actually
enabled.  It is not mentioned in any way in the changelog making me
think it was added at some point but never enabled.

Was it ever actually part of grub, or was it just an external add-on you
could use with it?

--
Len Sorensen