grub-devel

Re: Call to grub_file_read fails in grub_multiboot_load_elf64

From: Chris Plant
Subject: Re: Call to grub_file_read fails in grub_multiboot_load_elf64
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 16:09:56 +0100

Hello Daniel,

Firstly, I want to apologise, because as is nearly always the case,
when I've gone away and looked at this more closely, most of the
problems I've encountered (this one included) are my fault, this was a
mismatch between two macros.  I've now got grub booting the OS happily
with the appropriate Multiboot2 tags.

Secondly, why not EFI for ARM?  I'm playing around with GNU Mach (why?
Lockdown!) on a Raspberry Pi 3, and initially I was using no
bootloader.

However, as my project/time consumer moved on I needed GRUB to keep
things more ARM64 general and to provide various things that align
better with the i386 version of Mach.

When I'm happy with the code, and I've managed to get into the GRUB
coding standards, I'll submit a patch for people to tear to pieces, but
it basically just enables Multiboot2 on ARM64, with the associated
cpu_relocator code that is required.

With regards to the Multiboot2 specification for ARM64, I'll document
this within the patch, but it's very similar to the MIPS registers at
the moment.

Chris