grub-devel

Feature request: Boot default subvolume in BTRFS

From: Thomas
Subject: Feature request: Boot default subvolume in BTRFS
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:59:53 +0200

Hello,

this is the description of my feature request:
Grub is booting the default subvolume in BTRFS w/o any manual modification in Grub configuration.

Current situation:
Booting a snapshot created with Snapper is not possible w/o modifying the Grub entries.
This is related to the Snapper functionality that creates a ro snapshot that must be booted and then creates another rw snapshot of the currently booted ro snapshot. Then Grub configuration must be recreated to reflect the newly created rw snapshot.

Available solution:
In OpenSuse Grub is always booting the default snapshot and hereby Grub configuration must not be adjusted.
To my understanding OpenSuse uses a patched Grub.

Regards
Thomas