grub-devel

Re: NVMe support

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: NVMe support
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 19:30:36 +0200

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 12:40:23AM +0200, Christian E. Jørgensen wrote:
> Am I correct in assuming that GRUB relies on something like a BIOS for
> support of NVMe devices? I'm running coreboot with GRUB as the payload
> (on amd64 hardware) and GRUB does not seem to detect my NVMe device.
>
> If I use SeaBIOS instead of GRUB as the coreboot payload, then SeaBIOS
> detects the NVMe device without issue.

In general GRUB tries to use BIOS/EFI/firmware calls to access all
devices. However, it also contains some drivers for devices which are
not accessible via BIOS/EFI/firmware or you find that BIOS/EFI/firmware
is buggy in one way or another and you have to use the GRUB's own driver
to access those devices, e.g. AHCI.

Daniel