grub-devel

Re: Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:43:15 +0300

Also we need to add safeguards to never fill more than half of variable storage, same as Linux. Just to avoid bricking bad firmwares

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, 13:16 Daniel Kiper, <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 05:14:02PM +0200, Sam van Kampen via Grub-devel wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> To solve a problem I faced on my own system I've been working on a
> patch that adds support for viewing and editing EFI Boot* variables
> (BootOrder, BootNext, BootXXXX) from GRUB, and was wondering if there
> was any interest in including the functionality upstream.
>
> In its current form, the patch adds a new module (efibootvars.mod),
> which adds the commands `bootnext`, `bootentries` and `bootorder`.
>
> My plan is to send the patch for review once I've finished view and
> edit functionality for `bootnext` and `bootorder`. `bootentries` can
> currently only show BootXXXX variables - I might add support for
> editing them in a subsequent patch, but they are a significantly more
> complex data structure (EFI_LOAD_OPTION), hence editing is not
> currently included.
>
> Please let me know what you think,

Makes sense for me. So, please post it. Though I would consider
disabling that functionality if UEFI secure boot is enabled. Please
take a look at grub-core/commands/efi/shim_lock.c for more details.

Daniel