grub-devel

Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables

From: Sam van Kampen
Subject: Interest in a patch to edit/view EFI Boot* variables
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 17:14:02 +0200

Hey all,

To solve a problem I faced on my own system I've been working on a
patch that adds support for viewing and editing EFI Boot* variables
(BootOrder, BootNext, BootXXXX) from GRUB, and was wondering if there
was any interest in including the functionality upstream.

In its current form, the patch adds a new module (efibootvars.mod),
which adds the commands `bootnext`, `bootentries` and `bootorder`.

My plan is to send the patch for review once I've finished view and
edit functionality for `bootnext` and `bootorder`. `bootentries` can
currently only show BootXXXX variables - I might add support for
editing them in a subsequent patch, but they are a significantly more
complex data structure (EFI_LOAD_OPTION), hence editing is not
currently included.

Please let me know what you think,

Sam