grub-devel

GRUB Legacy Bugfix for Misbehaving/Broken RTC

From: BJ Black
Subject: GRUB Legacy Bugfix for Misbehaving/Broken RTC
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 13:37:14 -0700

Hi all!

I recently experienced a problem on a fleet of CentOS 6 boxes with GRUB
0.97 that had a dodgy CMOS battery and the RTC was broken.  In this
circumstance, the timeout on the GRUB menu never moved because GRUB
didn't think any time had passed...  So I wrote a fix that monitors both
the 18.2Hz PIT (via currticks()) and the RTC (via getrtsecs()) and falls
back to PIT if it seems like the RTC is being naughty...

(and no, fixing the CMOS batteries isn't an option here, nor is
replacing the motherboards, nor is upgrading to GRUB2 :-/ )

That said, I'd like to contribute that back, but since legacy is no
more, I'm not sure where that patch should go.  Obviously I can hang on
to the patch personally, but if there's someone still maintaining legacy
(for even a very casual definition of "maintaining"), I'd love to
contribute my little fix.  Thought I'd start here before going to the
centos folks (though obviously that's an option as well).

Thanks!

--bj