grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue: Problem with MBR partition table at start of EFI part

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue: Problem with MBR partition table at start of EFI partition
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 08:01:58 +0200

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 06:15:00PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I would not be surprised if there are either bugs or intentional
> oddity with the firmware in Apple hardware. Only recently is it based
> on UEFI 2.x, for a long time it was based on Intel EFI 1.10 with a lot
> of Apple only stuff added on top of that. It would not at all surprise
> me if much of this is non-standard, not documented, and varies from
> model to model. In fact it would not surprise me if it varied quite a
> lot based on firmware revision for the same model.

The changes recommended by Thomas Schmitt not only made the iso image
created by grub-mkrescue work for my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro, they also
made it work on a Late 2009 iMac (irrelevant details see
<https://bugs.gnu.org/35856>).  It appears post-2010 Macs boot all
grub-mkrescue iso images without issue.

Regards,
Florian