grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue: Problem with MBR partition table at start of EFI part

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue: Problem with MBR partition table at start of EFI partition
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 22:39:25 +0200

Hi,

Florian Pelz wrote:
> I guess this is off-topic and we cannot learn anything about the
> permissibility of mformat -k from Windows?

Yes.

The on-topic conclusion so far is that i cowardly propose to zeroize
the MBR partition table in the mformat result before populating it
by mcopy.
(Code snippets from SYS_AREA_SPARC around line 855 could be transplanted
 and adapted to zeroize bytes 446 to 509 of efiimgfat.)

Exploring the other differences between mformat with and without -k is
probably useless, because the big truck makes its own lane anyway.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas