grub-devel

Re: Extend grub-ofpathname to behaves like yaboot/ofpath on PowerPC syst

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Subject: Re: Extend grub-ofpathname to behaves like yaboot/ofpath on PowerPC system
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 22:10:35 +0200

On 5/3/19 9:57 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> We also do understand that name can be safely omitted as the device is
>> actually getting located by
>> its address. Therefore, these two paths refer to the same device:
>>
>> /address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden:b
>>
>> /@f4000000/@d/@0:b
>>
>> However for the PowerMac we tested it on, only the second form has
>> been found to be accepted.
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation and for investigating this! Much
> appreciated.
>
>> How best should we provide you with a patch (the current one is kind
>> of a hack)? Should we extend grub-ofpathname to take a new parameter
>> (eg. `--omit-names`) and decide to print or not the name, would that
>> be acceptable ?
>
> This sounds like a very reasonable approach. Let's use either that or
> maybe query OpenFirmware whether we're running on a PowerMac, if that's
> somehow possible.

Any comments from Daniel or Vladimir? Would be great to get this fixed
before the 2.04 release comes out. GRUB itself works perfectly fine on
PowerMacs but due to the grub-ofpathname tool being unreliable, we currently
need to rely on external tools to determine the proper open firmware device
path.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz