grub-devel

Re: bash completions in GRUB

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: bash completions in GRUB
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 18:31:24 +0000

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:37:48AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> It appears that GRUB is not consistent with other applications when
> installing the bash completions script.  I suggest the following patch:

I don't think this is really right.
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions has a somewhat different expected
API for completion scripts than $(sysconfdir)/bash_completion.d did;
it's not just a simple path change.  In the new location,
bash-completion expects to be able to autoload completion definitions by
command name.

Here's what I did for Debian, but it needs a bit more work before being
upstreamable IMO; the symlinks need to be installed by
util/bash-completion.d/Makefile.am, and it may also be worth looking
into splitting up the completion definitions into multiple files (since
much of the point of how bash-completion is organised nowadays is to
reduce the amount of code that bash has to read).  Finally, for proper
upstreaming I think the target directory ought to be settable at
./configure time.

https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/commit/48dbe1e38f23022211f347bd479de6036f622a3f