grub-devel

Re: Network boot

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: Network boot
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 14:28:40 +0100

Hi Christopher,

Re-adding grub-devel. Next time please do not drop it if it is not
required. Other people may learn something from your experience too.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 01:34:51PM +0100, Christopher Lucas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> No problem for the delay. That's good to clarify because I couldn't find a
> clear answer if it was possible to load a 64-bit UEFI from a 32-bit UEFI.
>
> However, I still found a work around. Very complex, for nothing much. I
> ended up loading a custom 32-bit kernel and initramfs from a 32-bit efi
> script. I just use kexec in the 32-bit kernel to load a 64-bit.
>
> It works, it's the most important thing. Thanks for the clarification.

Another option is CONFIG_EFI_MIXED in Linux kernel. If your kernel is
build with it enabled then...

  Enabling this feature allows a 64-bit kernel to be booted on
  a 32-bit firmware, provided that your CPU supports 64-bit mode.

  Note that it is not possible to boot a mixed-mode enabled
  kernel via the EFI boot stub - a bootloader that supports
  the EFI handover protocol must be used.

Above thing is an excerpt from CONFIG_EFI_MIXED help.

I hope that helps.

Daniel