grub-devel

efinet SNP issue affects iscsi boot

From: Micah Parrish
Subject: efinet SNP issue affects iscsi boot
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 18:06:15 -0600

Hi, new subscriber here.  We have a problem with Grub 2 and its use of SNP instead of MNP.  Our UEFI driver for a network card parses the relevant DHCP options for iSCSI boot, generates an iBFT table, then gets closed by Grub when it opens the SNP interface. The driver removes the iBFT table as part of normal unload cleanup.  I think this should happen with the Tianocore UEFI reference driver as well.  The problem is often masked or does not occur when there are multiple network ports enabled.  It occurs with several different vendors NICs.

Possible solutions I see:

1. Grub parses the DHCP options and creates its own iBFT.

2. Grub copies the already generated iBFT before destroying the interface.

3. Grub opens the network interface MNP instead of SNP.

Although I am a neophyte at grub and UEFI development, I would like to start a discussion on possible solutions.  Has anyone else seen this?

Micah Parrish
address@hidden
Linux OS Engineer
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise