grub-devel

Re: Requirements to start Grub properly

From: Daniel Smith
Subject: Re: Requirements to start Grub properly
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 07:13:07 -0400

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM Jeremy Fields <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Grub developers;

Greetings Jeremy.

> I'm working on a project similar to Intel's trusted boot (tboot) project (1)
> that uses Intel's TXT features to call the special GETSEC[SENTER]
> instruction. If I try to start Grub at any point after executing that
> instruction, Grub loads in its minimal mode, cannot find any partitions, and
> has almost no commands available. Grub works fine when utilizing AMD's
> equivalent secure kernel initialize (SKINIT) function.

I am glad to see others interested in using x86 late-launch
capabilities. I too am working on late launch in an effort to make it
more accessible across AMD and Intel, please see my presentation at
PSEC[1] and the project git repo[2] or in depth details. The project
is still in its infancy with my time split between code and
documentation but we have a goal to have an end-to-end capability
later this year. The part of the approach we are taking that might be
of interest to you is that we are working to enable grub to initiate
the late launch itself. I am not sure about your approach, but if you
think the approach we are taking would work for you, we would enjoy
more people/groups to join in.

[1] https://www.platformsecuritysummit.com/2018/speaker/smith/
[2] https://github.com/TrenchBoot/trenchboot

V/r,