grub-devel

Re: the rootcause of the grub2 that can support USB keyboard

From: Brendan Trotter
Subject: Re: the rootcause of the grub2 that can support USB keyboard
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 13:46:46 +0930

Hi,

On 8/21/18, Sherry Zhang(BJ-RD) <address@hidden> wrote:
> But I have found the USB keyboard module-usb_keyboard.mod that I don't load
> ,
> So why the usb keyboard can be used when I don't load usb modules?

A better question is, why does "module-usb_keyboard.mod" exist in the
first place? In theory, GRUB should be able to use whatever the
firmware provides to access key presses and shouldn't need a module at
all.

However, there were a few incredibly dodgy computers (mostly "late
1990s" time frame?) where the firmware expects a PS/2 keyboard and
firmware's keyboard support doesn't work with a USB keyboard. GRUB
probably provides a "module-usb_keyboard.mod" so that USB keyboards
will work properly on these incredibly dodgy computers.

Note: I'm not a GRUB developer or anything, I just know how much
computers can suck. ;-)

- Brendan