grub-devel

Re: FTDI serial console support?

From: Petter Gustad
Subject: Re: FTDI serial console support?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 16:32:39 +0200 (CEST)

From: Daniel Kiper <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:55:55 +0200

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 01:01:41PM +0200, Petter Gustad wrote:
>> From: Daniel Kiper <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: FTDI serial console support?
>> Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 11:32:19 +0200

>> > Please take a look here:
>> >   https://www.coreboot.org/GRUB2#On_a_USB_serial_or_USB_debug_adapter
>> >
>> > I hope that helps.
>>
>> Thank you for the link.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it seems like my system can't access the hard disk
>> after running "insmod ehci" despite doing "insmod nativedisk" first.
>> Some of subsequent insmod commands will fail when accessing the disk
>> and I'm not able to boot linux either.
>
> Could you just do "insmod usbserial_ftdi"? There is a chance that it
> will pull in all needed dependencies without breaking disk access.

Thanks. Only "insmod usbserial_ftdi" does work in the sense that it
will not break disk access. I also managed to load grub using PXE/tftp
where I was not dependend upon disk access.

But in both cases it does not work like in the coreboot URL above.
After do insmod on usbserial_ftdi and usbserial_usbdebug the
terminal_output command will only return console as its active output
terminal. It will list serial_* as available output terminals, but I
can't select usb0, usb1, etc as argument to the serial command.

Best regards
//Petter