grub-devel

Re: Multiboot ELF segment handling patch

From: Alexander Boettcher
Subject: Re: Multiboot ELF segment handling patch
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:26:34 +0200

Hello,

On 17.04.2018 21:40, Daniel Kiper wrote
>> The overriden memory may contain device memory (vga text mode e.g.), which
>> leads to strange boot behaviour.
>
> Have you been able to take a look at memory allocator/relocator code why
> this happened?

for me it looks like, that either already
grub_relocator_alloc_chunk_addr or at latest
grub_relocator_prepare_relocs should bail out with an error, if the
memory range of the VGA memory (0xa0000 ++) is covered.

What I don't know, respectively didn't found in the code, how and where
this information about this VGA text memory area is excluded/reserved
from the allocator/reallocator. Maybe you can give me a hint ?

Cheers,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden