grub-devel

Re: Checksummed environments

From: Kristian Amlie
Subject: Re: Checksummed environments
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 15:08:23 +0200

On 06/04/18 14:35, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 11:25:22AM +0200, Kristian Amlie wrote:
>> Hey, I work for Northern.tech, developing update software for embedded
>> Linux devices.
>>
>> I have a question about GRUB's environment block: This block is not
>
> I am not sure what exactly you mean by "GRUB's environment block".
> Could you send me some references to the code?

Of course, sorry if the context wasn't clear. I'm talking about the
environment block mentioned here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Environment-block,
which is used to store information from one boot to the next, using
save_env and load_env.

>> checksummed, and hence I reckon it can become corrupt if power is lost
>> in the middle of a write.
>
> What about the other blocks?

In theory, there is only one block, because it is written in-place,
directly on disk, without changing any other filesystem blocks. Is that
what you meant by "other blocks"?

>> This is an important safety criterion for us, so we've been thinking of
>> developing environment block checksumming as an extension to the
>> existing save_env and load_env commands. The most likely approach will
>> be to grab X amount of bytes at the end of the block and use these for
>> the checksum.
>
> Could you tell us more about that?

The idea comes from U-Boot [1], which uses a dedicated block on a
storage device to store data, and uses a CRC32 checksum to make sure it
is consistent. The motivation is to be able to detect that the block is
corrupt, rather than accepting a block of data that may have incorrect
data in if a write was interrupted midway by a powerloss. You can read
more about it in the link.

[2] https://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootEnvVariables

--
Kristian