grub-devel

Re: A thread on grub-bug could need attention

From: Michel Bouissou
Subject: Re: A thread on grub-bug could need attention
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 23:47:45 +0100

Hi,

Le 31/01/2018 à 22:37, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :

> In this case a run with grub-mkrescue-sed.sh will not make much sense.
> First one will have to configure GRUB to enable at least one of the EFI
> variants. I dimly remember that the machine was 64 bit, i.e. should run
> bootx64.efi.

I'm happy to report that the USB stick I made today with
grub-mkrescue-sed.sh does boot alright on tested machines.

As a side note, the machine on wich I made it is a Manjaro that boots in
UEFI 64 mode, so for sure it's grub is UEFI-capable.

The HP tested machine has, AFAIK, no CSM "legacy" boot mode at all and I
believe it doesn't boot anything but UEFI.

That said, I don't have the machine on which I made the stick at hand
and I made the ISO image in a tmpfs, so...

But directly analyzing the USB stick I made, on another (Arch) machine
now gives :

address@hidden:/# xorriso -indev stdio:/dev/sdb -report_el_torito plain
-report_system_area plain
xorriso 1.4.8 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

xorriso : NOTE : Loading ISO image tree from LBA 0
xorriso : UPDATE : 632 nodes read in 1 seconds
libisofs: WARNING : Found hidden El-Torito image. Its size could not be
figured out, so image modify or boot image patching may lead to bad results.
xorriso : NOTE : Detected El-Torito boot information which currently is
set to be discarded
Drive current: -indev 'stdio:/dev/sdb'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is written , is appendable
Boot record  : El Torito , MBR grub2-mbr cyl-align-off
Media summary: 1 session, 8594 data blocks, 16.8m data, 14.8g free
Volume id    : 'ISOIMAGE'
El Torito catalog  : 141  1
El Torito cat path : /boot.catalog
El Torito images   :   N  Pltf  B   Emul  Ld_seg  Hdpt  Ldsiz         LBA
El Torito boot img :   1  BIOS  y   none  0x0000  0x00      4        1487
El Torito boot img :   2  UEFI  y   none  0x0000  0x00   5760        7154
El Torito img path :   1  /boot/grub/i386-pc/eltorito.img
El Torito img opts :   1  boot-info-table grub2-boot-info
El Torito img blks :   2  1440
System area options: 0x00004a00
System area summary: MBR grub2-mbr cyl-align-off
ISO image size/512 : 34376
Partition offset   : 16
MBR heads per cyl  : 64
MBR secs per head  : 32
MBR partition table:   N Status  Type        Start       Blocks
MBR partition      :   1   0x80  0x00           64        28552
MBR partition      :   2   0x00  0xef        28616         5760

Hope this helps (although I don't get much out of this myself ;-)

ॐ

--
Michel Bouissou <address@hidden> OpenPGP ID 0xEB04D09C