grub-devel

Re: A thread on grub-bug could need attention

From: Michel Bouissou
Subject: Re: A thread on grub-bug could need attention
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 16:18:55 +0100

Hi there,

Le 29/01/2018 à 19:53, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :

> Does this mean that the decisive trick is to use GPT with EFI partition
> instead of a MBR partition of type 0xEF ?
>
> Or is there something missing in the FAT filesystem images of e.g.
> Debian installation ISOs like
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> ?
It's probably not related to any specific images, as I could boot no
standard Linux USB install stick made from an ISO image on this machine,
besides Knoppix or Tails.

I have installed a Manjaro with grub onto a blank USB stick, in EFI
mode, and it would boot perfectly on other machines, but not on affected
machine.

But AFAIR the USB partition table was DOS, not GPT.

So might this machine boot only from GPT disks ? Well, then it would'tn
boot a Knoppix ISO image stick. But it does...
> Michel: Does a simple ISO "output.iso" work, when made by
>
>   mkdir ./minimal
>   echo dummy >./minimal/dummy
>   grub-mkrescue -o output.iso ./minimal
>
> and then copied onto the plain USB stick device (e.g. /dev/sdc) ?
> grub-mkrescue produces valid GPT in ISO 9660.

I've produced an USB stick per your instructions above and tested it OK
on another machine. I will try to test it tonight on the affected
machine and let you know.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards.

ॐ