grub-devel

Re: A thread on grub-bug could need attention

From: Michel Bouissou
Subject: Re: A thread on grub-bug could need attention
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 17:14:05 +0100

Hello,

Le 08/01/2018 à 13:48, Daniel Kiper a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:35:20PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am unhappy about the state of the thread
>>
>>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2017-12/msg00010.html
>>   "HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE incompatible with grub"
>>
>> which is about an EFI implementation which SYSLINUX for EFI can operate
>> from USB stick whereas GRUB from USB stick ends up with black screen.
>>
>> An allergy of the firmware towards ISO 9660 hybrid images on USB stick
>> can surely be ruled out by
And I believe it has been. I have made a complete Linux install on an
USB stick of the latest Manjaro, so the stick is « setup like a hard
disk ». It will boot on other UEFI machines but will not boot on the
ProBook x360 11 G1 EE.

>> The bug reporter, Michel Bouissou, seems well apt enough to do experiments.
>> But i am not apt enough to propose any beyond ISO 9660.
>> Could people from this list please give Michel some hints about how to
>> retrieve more information about the problem between GRUB and this
>> peculiar EFI ?
As a side note, this is my son's student machine, he needs it daily in
college and also often needs it at home, so I don't have it available
all day and I cannot do experiments that would break the installed
Windows (alas).

I have also been on travel between XMas and january 1st, my son at
another place with his machine, and I will be in travel again all february.

So I volunteer to perform all necessary tests to understand this issue
better, however for the reasons above it may take some time before I can
both have the machine at hand and time to work on the issue. But I will
try my best to perform all proposed tests - and already did quite a
number of them...

So far my understanding of the issue is : as soon as the computer loads
grub, it freezes, independantly of the distro, used, whether be it from
an ISO image or a "normally" installed distro, and whether grub was
directly loaded from UEFI, or chained from rEFINd.

rEFInd works, Syslinux loads and boots ; grub hangs.

Best regards.

ॐ

--
Michel Bouissou <address@hidden> OpenPGP ID 0xEB04D09C