grub-devel

Re: Maturity of GRUB on powerpc/ppc64?

From: Frank Scheiner
Subject: Re: Maturity of GRUB on powerpc/ppc64?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:41:59 +0200

On 10/04/2017 10:50 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 10/02/2017 05:04 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
As a follow-up to [1] but maybe better placed under the subject of this thread, the promised details for the Grub installation on an Xserve G4 with Debian Sid.

Thanks. Is there any specify reason why you aren't using grub-install?

Yes - it's a known working method. I know that it worked that way on the Power Mac G5, so I first tried it that way on the Xserve G4. That to be sure no errors are introduced by another method of installation.

If I remember correctly, most of the steps you went through above should
actually be performed by single invocation of grub-install which is what
debian-installer is doing as well.

I can retry this on the G5 with an installer that has Grub included. IIRC that wasn't the case, the last time I installed the G5 in late September (with the installer ISO with SHA256 hash: 46844b4c8da76c3fb18d3d350b1262b9938c8b8ff8a85bd193d76ac7e33b5dc9) - or I just didn't notice it.

And I can also try to use grub-install on the Xserve G4 from the already installed OS. If there is also a Sid installer image available for powerpc I can also do that from the Debian installer.

Cheers,
Frank