grub-devel

Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PVH support in grub2

From: Roger Pau Monné
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PVH support in grub2
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 16:24:39 +0100

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 02:46:53PM +0000, Juergen Gross wrote:
> I'm thinking about to add support for Xen PVH guests to grub2.
>
> Basically I see two options how to do it:
>
> a) add PVH support to current grub.xen (both, 32- and 64-bit), in
>    order to use the same grub binary for either pv-domains or
>    pvh-domains
> b) create a new variant grub.xenpvh capable only to boot pvh-domains
>
> Are there any preferences which way to go?

IMHO, it should be possible to create a grub binary that can be loaded
in PVH mode but that's not tied to a specific bitness. Let's avoid
having a grub32 and grub64, that's not needed at all for PVH.

Then, I also wonder whether it would make sense for this grub to load
the kernel using the PVH entry point or the native entry point. Would
it be possible to boot a Linux kernel up to the point where cpuid can
be used inside of a PVH container?

Thanks, Roger.