grub-devel

State of the SPARC patches for GRUB

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Subject: State of the SPARC patches for GRUB
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 10:25:54 +0200

Hi!

Last year, Eric Snowberg from Oracle posted a number of patches [1] to
improve SPARC support in GRUB. Unfortunately, most of the patches have
not been merged as of today, so that users on SPARC are still stuck on
SILO which is old and effectively unmaintained and lacks many of the
convenience features of GRUB.

Can anyone tell me what is currently preventing the patches from being
merged? Eric is maintaining an external git repository [2] where he
keeps rebasing the patches, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to
get the patches merged.

We have already tested the patches in Debian in unofficial builds of
the GRUB package and GRUB works as expected on modern SPARC machines.

Would be great if we could finally get rid of SILO in Debian.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz