grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 163, Issue 18

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 163, Issue 18
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:20:10 -0400

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 04:59:58PM +0000, Oleksii Kurochko wrote:
> After all there is only one interrupt controller, keyboard, PCI bus,
> video card, etc (at least usually).
>
> Generally this is not problem because of each CPU has own APIC and we can
> handle some interrupts in one OS and some in other OS.

Still have to coordinate who owns what memory, firmware accesses (the
firmware only expects one OS to be running at a time), etc.

PCs were not designed to be hardware partitioned.

This is clearly not a normal thing, not supported by generic OSs, and
certainly not by generic boot loaders (and since the OSs need to agree
on it, you might as well have one OS load the other in that case and
not have the boot loader involved in the first place).

--
Len Sorensen