grub-devel

Re: Contribution

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Contribution
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:41:19 +0000

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017, 20:37 Nicole <address@hidden> wrote:
I have written two small, simple modules to address limitations I found
in in Grub.

1. does simple arithmetic - nothing fancy. It's invoked by using
something like this:

insmod arithmetic
arithmetic --set fred --min 2 -- max 10 "1" "+" "2"

the operators supported are unary -,!; binary +,-,/,*,%,<,<=,<.<=,!=,==
--set works in the usual way. If the result is greater than --max, the
--min value is returned and vice versa; this useful for cycling round a
group of partitions in a round-robin fashion
Can you have a look if we can have bash syntax $((...)) and $[...] instead? It's more compact and nicer.

2. diskinfo.mod introduces two commands: disklabel, diskuuid which
return the label and uuid of the specified disk partition. This is
useful where, having decided which partition, amongst several, to boot,
you can fill in the appropriate value in the "root=UUID=" or
"root=label=" Linux kernel parameter.
Have a look at probe command. Does it cover your usecase?

I looked for details on how to submit new modules, but failed to find
anything. How do I go about this?
Just send patches here.

Nicole