grub-devel

Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 09:29:29 +0300

Thank you for the patch. Unfortunately it does not solve fundamental
problem - grub-install is expected to auto-detect everything that is
required to access /boot/grub (it violates it now for encrypted /boot,
but I plan to submit patch after release to decouple it from
/etc/default/grub). So any solution that integrates plain
dm-crypt/detached header into grub-install needs to work without user
intervention and provides some means to auto-detect this.

Although we already have some options that cannot be autodetected (e.g.
keys). So may be this can be relaxed.

But at the very least it needs to check whether LUKS device has detached
header and abort by default if it has, otherwise we cannot even find
device to open at boot time. It also needs code to detect underlying
block device and again abort if partition map does not support PTUUID
(i.e. is not MSDOS or GPT), as this is the only means to find it.

In generally, if grub-install completed without error grub should boot -
otherwise we have a bug.