grub-devel

Re: Loading DSDT table using 'acpi' or some memory write command?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Loading DSDT table using 'acpi' or some memory write command?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 16:42:32 +0300

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Nando Eva <address@hidden> wrote:
> @Andrei Borzenkov, I've confirmed that any of the following do not alter the
> Win10 DSDT table across numerous Macbooks and my Dell E6540.
>
> acpi dsdt.aml
> acpi --load-only dsdt dsdt.aml
> acpi -2 dsdt.aml
>
> Followed by:
> chainloader /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
>
> Clover has a DSDT override function and using it works on my Dell E6540.
> However it does it by writing to the UEFI firmware volume, which for
> Macbooks, has had one test instance of bricking the system.
>
> Any chance of a simple  'load_dsdt [file]' command that acquires the
> in-memory DSDT table address, checks it's size, then overwrites it with the
> file name specified if it's the same size or smaller?

That's more or less what grub tries to do. We cannot really overwrite
ACPI tables because they may be located in read-only memory, but it
attempts to create EBDA and place new RSDP there and update EBDA
address as well as update RSDP pointer in EFI system table. I would
suggest trying to load something else (like Linux) and check whether
it sees new or old table.