grub-devel

Re: "Illegal Instruction" error in grub_script_comments

From: Matthew Whitehead
Subject: Re: "Illegal Instruction" error in grub_script_comments
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 23:17:42 -0400 (EDT)

Lennart,
  I was able to make some progress installing GRUB and Legacy GRUB onto my
ancient 80486 computer. Right now I have Legacy GRUB installed as the primary
boot loader on the MBR. From there I can boot GRUB via 'kernel
/grub2/core.img'.

However, once I try to load a kernel it reports "cannot allocate real mode
pages".  lsmmap reports "base_addr - 0x100000, length = 0x3fffc00, type = 0x1".

What can I do to debug this further?

- Matthew