grub-devel

Re: "Illegal Instruction" error in grub_script_comments

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: "Illegal Instruction" error in grub_script_comments
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:32:40 +0100

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 02:34:16PM -0400, tedheadster wrote:
> I am building the older grub2-1.98+20100804 under the similarly old Debian
> 'squeeze' distribution. However, I bet the error persists with newer
> version. This is because I am building it on a true Intel 80486 and I don't
> thing the compiler is building for the correct architecture.

If it is in fact the lack of an -march= option that's at fault, then
that was fixed in 2.02~beta1:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=02663ee9d9cae806f90518bc4c89d31ae11b84e4

(You may be best simply setting TARGET_CFLAGS='-march=i386 -Os' in the
environment when running configure, rather than trying to regenerate
configure with that patch.)

If that doesn't do it, then it may be something more involved such as
hand-written non-486-compatible assembly somewhere, which won't be cured
by a compiler option.  GRUB is mostly in C, but something running at the
level of a boot loader does tend to need at least a little bit of
assembly to get itself going.