grub-devel

Re: Trouble booting EFI grub binaries built using binutils 2.27.

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: Trouble booting EFI grub binaries built using binutils 2.27.
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 11:08:40 +0800

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 04:14:31PM -0400, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else having issues booting grub EFI images when grub has been
> built using binutils 2.27?
>
> The build completes successfully, but then I get the following error at
> boot:
>
> no symbol table
> Aborted. Press any key to exit.

I think you need this patch:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=67dba97e4598eaf2deb14da044fbfb1c119cf76f

And more background info can be found in the discussion:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2016-02/msg00011.html

A caveat:

You might face build error on xen platform after, that all_videos module fails
in grub-module-verifier which says no .symtab or .moddep sections found in it.
The check could be overly too active, since it's possible that all_videos
without both sections if the target platform don't have any video module
supported.

In that we add a band-aided fix by relaxing the check in grub-module-verifier

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Base:System/grub2/grub2-accept-empty-module.patch?expand=1

CCed the patch author, and I think Andrei might be interested to have a look.

Thanks,
Michael