grub-devel

Re: safety of save_env

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: safety of save_env
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:17:03 +0300

24.08.2016 07:15, Michael Zimmermann пишет:
> I mean safe in the sense that it would not destroy data outside of that
> file (no matter if writing was successful or not) or even destroy/add
> errors to  the filesystem.(ext*, f2fs, fat*, ...).

It computes block list of file data and then overwrites these blocks. It
will abort if file is sparse. It actually even double checks block list
by reading directly from disk (bypassing filesystem driver) and
comparing results.

So it looks reasonably safe in that it should not write outside of space
already allocated for file data on disk. It obviously will not work for
filesystem that computes checksums over data like btrfs or zfs; these
filesystems currently ignore read hooks so always return empty block
list (leading to confusing error message).

For journalled filesystems there is non-zero probability that journal
replay will change content of those blocks.

Note that it depends on explicit fs driver support; looking e.g. at f2fs
patch inline data bypasses read hook. Probably not an issue for 100M
file though.